06/14/2018 - Farmers Markets and participating Farm Stands are now open to provide farm fresh fruits and vegetables for good health and nutrition. Again this year, Delaware County senior citizens may take advantage of the Farmers Market Coupon Program to receive twenty dollars ($20) worth of free New York State grown produce. These coupons can only be used for fresh fruits and vegetables, no baked or processed foods, at participating vendors. Delaware County Office for the Aging will coordinate the distribution of the booklets for households of eligible seniors.
ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA FOR 2018
To be eligible for Farmers Market Coupons, a person must be:
1) A senior (age 60 or older),
2) AND a NY state resident,
3) AND have an income that meets one of the following criteria: a one person household with a gross income of $1,872 or less per month; a two person household with a combined gross income of $2538 or less per month; a three-person household with a combined gross income of $3,204 or less per month; OR currently receiving or be eligible for SSI, public assistance or Section 8 housing subsidy.
PROGRAM GUIDELINES – UPDATES FOR 2018
This year each older adult in a household is eligible to receive one coupon booklet if they meet the age and income requirements.
Eligible seniors must personally sign to receive their coupon booklet; no one else will be allowed to sign for them unless they have a legal POA, and can show proof. At the markets, coupons can be redeemed by caregivers/others if the recipient is unable to shop in person.
As a reminder, coupon booklets cannot be mailed. If an eligible senior is unable to get to one of the distribution sites listed below they should contact Delaware County Office for the Aging to see if alternate arrangements can be made.
Coupons can only be used during the current program year from June 1 – November 30, 2018.
DISTRIBUTION SITES AND MARKET LOCATIONS
Eligible seniors may pick up coupons at the Office for the Aging at 97 Main Street, Delhi; Monday-Friday, 8:00am-4:00pm. Other distribution sites include senior dining centers and senior housing units. Please contact Yvonne Brock at Delaware County Office for the Aging, 607-832-5750, for further information.
The following is the distribution schedule for 2018 for the Senior Dining Centers:
• Delhi Senior Dining Center (97 Main Street), July 18 & Aug. 8, 11 a.m.-noon
• Deposit Senior Dining Center (Christ Episcopal Church, 14 Monument St.), July 17, 11 a.m.-noon
• Grand Gorge Senior Dining Center (Grand Gorge Civic Center, Rte. 30), July 12, 11 a.m.-noon
• Hancock Senior Dining Center (Hancock Baptist Church, 232 Wheeler St.), July 16, 11 a.m.-noon
• Middletown Senior Dining Center (Methodist Church, 55 Church St., Margaretville), July 9, 11 a.m.-noon
• Sidney Senior Dining Center (Sidney Civic Center, 21 Liberty St.), July 10, 11 a.m.-noon
• Walton Senior Dining Center (St. John the Baptist Roman Catholic Church, 15 Benton Ave.), July 11, 11 a.m.-noon
We will also be distributing coupons at the following with more distribution sites TBA:
• Davenport Town Hall (11790 State Highway 23, Davenport) June 20, 10-11:30 a.m.
• Roscoe Free Library (85 Highland Ave, Roscoe) June 22, 1:30-3 p.m.
•Colchester Town Hall (Tannery Ave., Downsville) June 29, 2-3:30 p.m.
• Mountain Laurel Garden Apartments (55 Lamphere Lane, Arkville) July 9, 12:30-1:30 p.m.
• Roxbury Library (53742 State Highway 30, Roxbury) July 12, 12:30-1:30 p.m.
• Meadow Park Apartments (Fair St, Deposit) July 17, 1-2 p.m.
The Farmers Market Nutrition Program, now a permanent federal program, is sponsored by New York State Department of Agriculture and Markets, New York State Department of Health, New York State Office for the Aging, Cornell Cooperative Extension, and the U.S. Department of Agriculture Food and Nutrition Service.